Wednesday 26 August 2009

Punk'd

When I received the call, I was at my desk, lazing. I picked up the phone and surprisingly, the person knew my name.

"Hi Sudarshan Nair, I'm Genevieve, calling from Palace of the Golden Horses. I would like to inform you that you've been chosen to have dinner with Bunkface and Boys Like Girls on September (something)." She had an accent. Believable.

My first thought was "Wtf why is Boys Like Girls still in Malaysia?" but no, I ignored my instincts.

"What? Sorry can you repeat that?" I found it hard to believe that I was chosen for something. It rarely happens. She repeated what she said.

And then I laughed. I mean, what could I do?

"Is this a prank?" And I laughed even more.

She sounded taken aback. Very believable, I tell you. "Er no Sudarshan, this is not a prank. You really were chosen to have dinner with Bunkface and Boys Like Girls."

At that moment I felt pathetic; what if it really was true? I was embarrassing myself in front of gwai los. So I went along with it.

"Er, how did I get chosen?"

"Well, it was random actually. We just chose your number. Now, do you accept this invitation? Sudarshan, this is not a prank"

She was talking quite alot. It was quite believable. I guess I was also weirded out that this happened.

But I laughed even more.

"Why are you laughing?"

"Well because these kind of things don't usually happen to me. So I'm just surprised."

Playing for more time, I tried to think of all the people I thought who might have been able to do this. I couldn't have been anyone I knew because her voice wasn't one I recognized. So, I gave in.

"So do you accept this invitation? Once again Sudhan, this is not a prank"

I answered yes.

"Okay so you have accepted our invitation to join Bunkface and Boys Like Girls at Palace of the Golden Horses, on September (something, or was it November?) I want to remind you again, Sudarshan, that this is not a prank."

"Okay okay. Yes, I guess I accept then."

"GOTCHA! Sudarshan, this is a prank and you have NOT been invited to have dinner with Boys Like Girls and Bunkface..." Heavy and contant giggling in the background. Omg.

"Omg omg omg omg omg omg omg" was going on in my head. This was sooo embarrasing, I was soo worried for a moment, thinking that it might be Hitz.fm or something. Freaking embarrassing.

But then she said "I am L***** friend of R*****"

Then I did a double take. "What? Who are you?" And she told me again, though she excluded that she was a friend of R*****. Dunno why, but I didn't realise that.

"How did you get my number?" I laughed.

"I saw you the other day...er..at *****."

What?! How did she see me? Then I was reminded of the friend she mentioned.

"Do you know R*****?"

"What? No, I don't know anyone named R*****."

"Is that a fake accent?" I asked, slightly pissed off. I didn't know what else to say.

No comments: