Thursday 23 April 2009

Busy

I put out my hand and signal for the incoming taxi, but the greeen cab turns into the adjacent street. Son-of-a...

The sun is out and at full force today. I have been out since nine in the morning, travelling, as I always seem to be doing. Errands are a bloody bane on my life. I had to go to Klang to sign documents and do some banking work after which I was supposed to meet N for consultation with Miss Sh. As I was heading back to KL, I got a call from N saying he was not able to make it for consultation and had cancelled it. Sigh. More last-minute screwups.

Short of giving the finger to the heavens, I decide to stay calm and just get on with what I had to do. No matter, I thought, I'll just go to the Department of Student Affairs and retrieve some forms I had to fill in. Dreading the sun, I still got down from the bus and walked to PD block.

I came out ten minutes later empty-handed; those forms are only necessary after I have received my final exam results. A bloody waste of my time.

So here I am, partially hidden from the sun, under the protection of the bus stop, hailing cabs and hoping a bus comes along so I don't need the cab. Call me indecisive.

Finally I get a cab and get it gratefully, taking in the cool air-conditioning. I breathe out in relief.

"Hot, isn't it?" the driver says. He's a chubby man with a scarred face.

Oh someone who's on my side. "Yes, it is," I reply. "Very."

"You don't like it?" he asks.

No, I fucking don't. "No," I say adding a chuckle. "You do?"

"Yes, I do," he replies.

I do a double take. What happened to being on my side? I am on the verge of telling him I don't give a rat's ass what he thinks when he asks "Why don't you like the heat?"

Once again, I am stunned. No one has ever asked me that before. I mean it goes without saying doesn't it?

"Well, er, you see, it's hot, and uncomfortable, and I'll sweat alot, and I'll stink." Not to mention I'm telling this all to a taxi driver.

"Aiya...wear expensive deodorant lah," he says. What the hell?! Why am I even having this conversation with this guy?

"Why do you like the heat then?" I ask. He aint getting the better of me. Hmph.

"Hot is very good," he says. "You know I just got back from jogging. I like to jog at noon." He pats his stomach. "You should exercise lah."

At this I realised I have nothing to say to this man. I shut my trap and waited to get down from the freaking taxi driven by a mad exercise freak who thinks it cool to jog at a time when the sun is the hottest and then change the topic of discussion from the heat to exercising. The hell.

"Oh look at that girl."

Great. He's horny as well.

No comments: