Saturday 23 January 2010

8 Mile


I sat at my computer the whole afternoon watching this movie. I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago, after finding out that the late Brittany Murphy starred in it AND that it won an Oscar!

When the movie first came out, I was reluctant to watch it, simply because I thought that rapper couldn't act and it would somewhat like Mariah Carey's attempt at Glitter (which I did not watch as well). Well, I was right. He can't act. But the movie was awesome!

I am now currently addicted to the Lose Yourself. Argh, the things an Oscar winning song can do to me. I can't get rid of Carly Simon's Let The River Run out of my head as well. Hey, that song is awesome too, okay. It won like, a Grammy, an Oscar, a Golden Globe, and I forgot what else.

But nothing can explain how Melanie Griffith was nominated for Best Actress in Working Girl. The bland blonde sucked. I posted this query on Yahoo! Answers and I was told that I had to compare her acting in Working Girl to the other movies produced in that year. Boy, did 1988 dish out awful films or what? Because Melanie Griffith sucked in it!

Anyway, back to the epiphany I had after watching 8 Mile. It totally changed my perspective on rap. I still believe rap is for people who have a knack for beats, and can't sing to save their life. I still believe that rappers are made up of assholes who had a hard life and resorted to gang fights, guns, and swearing to get through high school. This would make Celine Dion sound like a high school princess with the perfect grade point average. Go figure.

But rap is interesting! You need to be able to think swiftly and quickly to get the right words. Eminem is unique in that sense. I like what he raps about. He's full of life and meaning, as opposed to crappers like Kanye West who're just full of it.


No comments: