Thursday 29 May 2008

I hate the Harry Potter movies: Part Six

Well folks, it's the 29th of May and my series of posts about the Harry Potter movies is now coming to an end. But that doesn't mean I won't be writing anymore. You can be sure I will publish a post about the upcoming Harry Potter movie right after catching it. :D

Anyway I've run out of things to complain about the movies. I've basically touched on every aspect that I hated. There were too many lines for me to include in these posts so I posted the few that I could come up with.

Now if there are any opinionated Harry Potter fans who have read my posts, and think that the movies did not do justice to the book, well, I am going to give a few pointers here directed to them.

Now if you noticed, in my posts, I did not mention anything about "the movie doing justice to the book" in the sense that the movies did not follow sequential incidents in the books and the like. Well let me explain why I did not talk about this.

Because it is not relevant. A movie is a movie. It is not a book. It cannot be a book. You cannot have the same experience watching a movie as you can reading a book. A book can be more flowery, more descriptive, more personal, and (obviously) longer. This is Common Sense 101.

You cannot expect and in depth view into the mind and thoughts of the main character in a movie as you can in a book. It is hard to show in a movie what the main character, or any character for that matter is thinking at a particular moment, though in a book the writer will explain what the character is thinking. This facilitates the reading process and makes reading the book much more enjoyable.

So for those who think "the movies did not do justice to the books", I have this to say to you. Suck it up. It cannot be exactly like the book, so what? What are you going to do about it? If you were the producers or the director of the movie then you will understand the conundrum they are in.

In my posts I explain, not what they did wrong in relation to the book, but what they did wrong in terms of common sense, plot outline, lines, and characters, etc. I don't believe that the movie can be one hundred percent like the book because the the movie needs to fit certain criteria.

Criterion number one is, of course, timing. A fast reader takes a couple of hours minimum to read a book as thick as Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. A slow reader would take a week or two, maybe even a month, some never. So how do the creators of the movies condense such a thick book, filled with loads of information, and characters and make a movie that doesn't run for longer than two and a half hours? Quite a conundrum they are in aren't they? Yes.

Basically it all comes down to common sense and practicality. How well they plan the movie so as to keep the lovers and the haters coming back for more. :) I sure as hell can't wait for the next one to come out. I'll be the first one in cinemas to watch, I'll make sure of that.

Oh and one teensy little suggestion? You (creators of the movies) should have divided every movie after Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban into Parts One and Two. Then you would have been able to make more scenes, and most importantly, more money.

But who knows what's going on behind the scenes right? If I have thought these things, I'm sure they would have thought it long before. They know better because they are over there doing all the work while I am here, shaking my legs at four in the morning and criticising their work. Haha

Somehow though the movies are doing extremely well in the box office.
Kudos.
Really, Kudos! *grins*

Coming Up:
Goodbyes are said

No comments: